skip to content

Laing O'Rourke Centre for Construction Engineering and Technology


Browse the tabs below to find the answers to common questions about matters such as application fees, admission interviews, and visas for overseas candidates.


What is a Master of Studies?
Master of Studies (MSt) is the name given by the University of Cambridge to part-time masters degrees. These programmes are designed for individuals who are typically studying in addition to working, allowing students to develop their professional and academic interests in parallel to support career progression and personal development. Many MSt students will have years of work experience before undertaking the programme.

The Construction Engineering MSts comprises a combination of taught elements with a research project (and an associated dissertation) undertaken over two years.

Furthermore, the modular structure of the programme, with seven residential weeks, enables students living farther away from Cambridge, including international students, to undertake the MSt.

If you need more information about MSts, please get in touch with the Centre and CEM Recruitment Manager Jan Wojtecki.

What is the duration of the programme?
The MSt in Construction Engineering is a part-time programme delivered over two years. The final viva examination of the student's dissertation typically takes place within three months of the end of the second year.

When does the programme start?
The programme starts in September every year.

Can I work while I am enrolled on the programme?
Yes, you can. Most of our students combine full-time employment with part-time study.

Do I need to relocate to Cambridge during the duration of the programme?
No, although you do need to be in Cambridge to attend the seven residential teaching weeks in person. The dates for the residential weeks for the 2023 intake can be found here.

Can I progress onto PhD following the completion of a Master of Studies?
This will depend on the admissions requirements established by the university department where you wish to study at PhD level. Learn more at the University's postgraduate admissions website.


When can I apply for the programme?
Applications for September entry open in September of the previous year and are made online. Apply here.

What's the deadline for applications?
We close for applications on 1st May. Applications are considered in two gathered fields (one consisting of applications received by 31st December and one consisting of the remaining applications submitted by the application closing date). Candidates are encouraged to send their applications as soon as possible (well before the deadline). If you apply before 31st December, you may be contacted for an interview during January or early February. If you apply by the closing date, you may be contacted for an interview during May.

What are the requirements for entry into the programme?
View the minimum requirements for entry to the MSt in Construction Engineering.

Is there an application fee?
There is a non-refundable application fee of £50.

Do you require work experience?
Yes, professional experience is required. The typical levels of work experience for successful candidates can be viewed here.

Admissions process

Can I visit the University and talk to the faculty or someone from admissions in person?

Unfortunately, due to the large number of applications we receive, it is not always possible to meet with individual candidates. However, there are opportunities to meet team members during our online Q&A information sessions. You can contact the Centre and CEM Recruitment Manager Jan Wojtecki to discuss any queries you may have. 

Do I have to come to Cambridge for an interview?
No. Interviews for shortlisted candidates are held via video call.

Once I receive an offer to join the programme, can I defer it to the following academic year?
An offer deferral is not possible. Therefore, if you are offered a place but decide not to take it up , you will have to re-apply for the following or a subsequent year. Please note your place is not guaranteed when you re-apply.

Overseas applicants

Do I have to take an English language proficiency test?
Fluency in English is a pre-requisite for our programmes. If your first language is not English, or you are a national of a country where English is one of several official languages, you will be asked to take a language proficiency test to show you have the necessary command of the language to get the most out of the programme. If you are made a conditional offer and have not already met our English language requirements, one of the conditions of admission will be that you pass a test at the correct level. Please note that sometimes there can be long waiting times to take a language test, so you should make arrangements to take a test as soon as possible. Find out more about our minimum English language proficiency requirements.

Do I need a visa to study at Cambridge?

If made a conditional offer for a place on the course, you will need to ensure you have the necessary permission to enter the UK to attend the residential teaching weeks. This varies depending on your nationality. If you need a visa, please ensure you start your application process as early as possible, as there are delays that are not under the University's control. We recommend that you complete your conditional offer requirement at the earliest opportunity so we may provide you with the necessary letters.

Please get in touch with the Programme Coordinator, Adam Cooley to gather information about the requirements you must meet before you come to each residential week in Cambridge. Please do it at least two months in advance for each residential week.

For further information, please visit the Visa Advice section of the University website.

Financing your MSt

What is the cost of the MSt in Construction Engineering?
Please visit the Course fees webpage for details of the costs for students in the 2023 intake year.

Are the fees different for overseas students?
No, the University Combined Graduate Fee is the same for all MSt in Construction Engineering students.

What financial support do you offer?
Most of our students obtain full or partial funding from their employers. However, where this is not possible, bursaries may be available for a proportion of the tuition fee. Please get in touch with the Centre and CEM Recruitment Manager Jan Wojtecki for more information.

You may also wish to explore government funding sources and financial support, including professional and career development loans.